Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Get me some football players!!!!!!

I still can't believe how much buzz is created by the NFL Draft Combine and private workouts.

Although, I have to confess that Matt Jones running a sub-4.4 40 at 6'6" and 242 lbs has got me really intrigued.

But the thing I still can't get past is how many people have Ronnie Brown, who played second fiddle to Cadillac Williams at Auburn, rated as the best RB in this year's draft. And it's based largely on the solid workout that he had at the combine.

Was Auburn's coaching staff so dumb that it kept playing an inferior RB?

Plus, did I miss something when I watched Cedric Benson this past season?

It might be the same thing I missed watching David Pollack make big play after big play because he's being touted as a mid to late 1st round pick and I'd take him in my top 10.

You see, I want football players.

I don't want Jeff Tedford robots playing QB for my team. And that's why I wouldn't take Aaron Rodgers before the middle of the 2nd round.

I don't want defensive players that are out for the glory and not out to win. That's why I'm not as high on Shawne Merriman as many people. I see him as another Lavar Arrington. And while at times that's a good thing. It's not a good thing when he blows his assignment while freelancing to try and make a big play and it backfires on him.

I don't want WRs that have low 40 times and yet don't have a lot of experience in a passing offense and are a gamble. That's why I'd pass on Troy Williamson.

I want a smashmouth workhorse RB. That's why I like Cedric Benson.

I want a WR that is willing and able to make key plays. That's why I not only like Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams, but why I also like Mark Clayton.

I want a QB that can manage the game. And that's why I like Auburn's Jason Campbell.

I want a mean, nasty, versatile OL. And that's why I like Michigan's David Baas and former Nebraska Cornhusker Richie Incognito.

But, I can see why scouts and GMs can get all caught up in 40 times and highlights and upside and ignore production. I do it every time I see a Matt Jones highlight.

That guy is a freak. And I want him on my team just to see if he can become something special at the WR position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home